NCC and UNEP sign an agreement: Rajnath Singh, the defence minister, saw the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between the National Cadet Corps (NCC) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). A Memorandum of Understanding was inked to use the Tide Turners Plastic Challenge programme and the Puneet Sagar Abhiyan to combat plastic pollution and achieve the objective of clean water bodies. It aims to coordinate initiatives to involve young people in promoting clean water bodies.
Bank Maha Pack includes Live Batches, Test Series, Video Lectures & eBooks
NCC and UNEP sign an agreement: Key Points
- The Puneet Sagar Abhiyan was introduced by the NCC on December 1st, 2017.
- The campaign’s objectives are to rid seashores of plastic and other trash and raise public awareness of how important cleanliness is.
- More than 12 million NCC cadets, alumni, and volunteers have collected over 100 tonnes of plastic debris from approximately 1,900 places since the start of the Puneet Sagar Abhiyan.
- The Resident Representative of the UN World Food Programme, Bishow Parajuli, and Director General of the NCC, Lieutenant General Gurbirpal Singh, signed the Memorandum of Understanding.
NCC and UNEP sign an agreement: Attendees
- Ajay Bhatt, the secretary of defence, Dr. Ajay Kumar, officials from the ministry of defence, and UNEP representatives were present at the event.
- The Defense Secretary praised NCC’s efforts in making the “Puneet Sagar Abhiyan” a huge success, calling it one of the finest programmes.
- He claimed that 15 lakh NCC cadets had the power to shape young people’s perspectives all around the world. They will be crucial, he claimed, in turning the campaign into a widespread movement.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- Defence Minister, GoI: Shri Rajnath Singh
- Secretary of Defence, Ministry of Defence: Shri Ajay Bhatt
- Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Executive Director, UNEP: Inger Andersen
- Director General (DG), NCC: Lieutenant General Gurbirpal Singh