17 Thoughts I Had About Taylor Swift’s Music Video for “I Bet You Think About Me”
Some might think of this period as autumn, or perhaps Thanksgiving season, but I am here to tell you once and for all that it is—fairly objectively—the Season of Taylor. Swift, that is; the singer just released an expanded version of her fourth studio album, Red, and between that and her performance on Saturday Night Live this past weekend, everything’s coming up Taylor. (How’s that taste, Taylor’s ex-boyfriend who may or may not be Jake Gyllenhaal?)
There are many aspects of Swift’s current reinvention to ruminate on, but she gave us the best food for thought possible when she released the music video for “I Bet You Think About Me” on Monday. Directed by none other than Blake Lively and starring Miles Teller, the video is a monument to revenge, and it couldn’t have come at a better time. Watch the full video below, then catch up on, well, all of the thoughts I had:
- I choose to interpret the lyrics “3 a.m. and I’m still awake” as a tribute to Anna Nalick’s 2005 hit “Breathe,” which famously rhapsodized about 2 a.m.
- Or is it a Mitski nod? The song “Francis Forever” does, after all, go: “I’m writing this at 3 a.m.”
- Okay, realistically it’s neither, and heartbroken people just tend to write in the wee hours, but let me live in a world where Swift, Nalick, and Mitski team up for a Boygenius-style supergroup, okay?
- What do I know Miles Teller from?
- Oh yeah, the Divergent movies.
- We love to see a skirt-wearer at a urinal! Gender is over.
- Oh, wow, Swift has gone full red-pillbox-hat era, bringing new meaning to the term “redpilled.”
- The outfit is also giving me Sgt. Pepper vibes?
- I never knew how badly I needed to see Taylor Swift tear into a red-velvet wedding cake with her hands.
- On that note, can we all agree to serve better cakes than red velvet at weddings? It tastes like nothing! Sorry!
- Don’t scream at me, Swifties, but when Swift says she was “raised on a farm”…I mean, it was a Christmas-tree farm in Reading, Pennsylvania. Fair enough, I guess? But she makes it sound like she was out there milking cattle. Okay, moment of bitchiness over.
- “I don’t have to be your shrink to know that you’ll never be happy.” Brutal, to quote Olivia Rodrigo.
- It is, TBH, nice to see some plus-size extras in the background of this video!
- Taylor in a wedding dress is giving extreme Carrie Bradshaw nuptials, minus the little feathered hat.
- There is no sight that brings me more joy than Taylor Swift working it all out on an acoustic guitar.
- Some of these quick shots (popped balloon, unfurling flower) are making me think of Twilight and the Six Feet Under opening credits, in a totally good way. Hats off, Blake!
Published at Mon, 15 Nov 2021 17:32:32 +0000